Search Postgresql Archives

Update table with data from another table

Hi,

I was hoping to update the results of one table with data from another table.  I have done this many times before using UPDATE X SET Z FROM Y.

The catch this time is the tables involved both have the same column names, same table names but reside in different schemas.

UPDATE schema1.A
SET col = z.col
FROM schema2.A z
WHERE z.match = match;

I can't get postgres to accept the above or any variation such as adding the full schema and table name to each column.  I also can't seem to declare an alias for the destination table (UPDATE schema1.A w SET w.col = z.col).

As a workaround I will rename one of the tables temporarily.  If someone has been able to get this to work I would appreciate any tips to reference for next time.

Mike