Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Primary keys for companies and people

On Feb 4, 2006, at 2:23 , Merlin Moncure wrote:

If you kind determine an easy natural differentiator, invent one:
create table contact
(
  account text, name text, memo text,
  primary key(account, name, memo)
);

The memo field is blank in most cases unlees it's needed.  Suppose you
were filling contact information in your databse and Taking your
second John Smith from an account...your operator says, 'we already
have a john smith for your account, can you give us something to
identify him?'  Put that in the memo field and there you go.

Merlin,

Thanks for the blissfully simple solution! I think this can work well for me.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com