Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Error with temporary tables

Thanks.

Actually, I had read the FAQ, and was correctly using the 'EXECUTE' form of creating a temporary table. (If that had been the problem, it would not have been working for a while.)

It turns out, the problem was a strange one. The function was returning a set of records and one of the elements in the record was being set like:

 R.Field := E.Value;

Where R is the returned record and E.Value was obtained from the temporary table. The type of both R.Field and E.Value is varchar.

This was all working fine until E.Value became some large strings with some occasional funny characters.

The hack that solved the problem was:

 R.Field := substring(E.Value from 1);

This is a complete hack, so I'd like to find out what is going wrong and why this worked. For now, it keeps the system functional.

Claire