Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgres 7.3.2 -> 8.1.2 upgrade performance issue

Tom Lane wrote:

Did you remember to VACUUM ANALYZE after loading the data?  It sounds
to me like bad choices of plans ...

Yes - although I have autovacuum off, partly to make an apples to apples comparison with 7.3 and partly due to the nature of the app.

On the application side I'm connecting via npgsql from .Net - the application is basically pumping large numbers of rows into a heavily indexed db (used for analysis later). Performance went from 100-200 rows per-second (which was being capped by cpu usage on the client side) to more like 10 rows per second.

I'm going to investigate what effect upgrading npgsql has too - as it appears there is a new version available. I will report back with what I find.

I just enabled autovacuum - with no apparent speed increase.

Odd.

David.

--
David Brain - bandwidth.com