Search Postgresql Archives

Re: incremental backups

Wonderful.  That is good news.  Thanks.

Rick

On Jan 31, 2006, at 7:14 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

Rick Gigger <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
That's what I mean by invalid.  Let's say I do something stupid and
do a physical backup and I don't grab the current WAL file.  All I
have is the last one to be archived before I did my backup, which is
not late enough to do a valid restore.  Will postgres know that the
restore process failed because I didn't have that last necessary WAL
file or will it just start up in a potentially inconsistent state.

Yes:

    /*
* Complain if we did not roll forward far enough to render the backup
     * dump consistent.
     */
    if (XLByteLT(EndOfLog, recoveryMinXlogOffset))
    {
        if (needNewTimeLine)    /* stopped because of stop request */
            ereport(FATAL,
(errmsg("requested recovery stop point is before end time of backup dump")));
        else
            /* ran off end of WAL */
            ereport(FATAL,
(errmsg("WAL ends before end time of backup dump")));
    }

			regards, tom lane