Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [HACKERS] New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 20:03 -0500, Doug McNaught wrote:

We are actively looking for developers for the project. Please drop me
an e-mail if you want to join this project. We will use Python, so you
need to be a Python guy to join the project. We are in planning phase,
if you join us earlier, we will be able to share more ideas.

What value does this bring to systems that have a good package system
and up-to-date repositories?  I can install Postgres today on Ubuntu
using a GUI tool, and install another GUI tool to configure and
adminsiter it.

You can install, but what if you need different configure options than
the package provides? This means a rebuild of the package. Instead, we
will build and install that package via the installer.

OTOH, exluding Synaptic that I hate to use, FC / RH does not have a GUI
RPM interface for the repositories. So our installer will help them a
lot. Also, our installer will have an option to download and install the
prebuilt binaries from PostgreSQL FTP site (and possible other sites)

And pull down/build/install the various extensions on pgFoundry? :)

----
Email: scrappy@xxxxxxx           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664