Search Postgresql Archives

Re: VACUUM Question

matthew@xxxxxxxx ("Matthew T. O'Connor") writes:
> If you really are just inserting, and never updating or deleting,
> then you will never need to vacuum the table, rather you will just
> need to ANALYSE the table.  If you use autovacuum that is exactly
> what it will do.

"Never" is a pretty long time...

You need a VACUUM every 2^31 transactions, but since there needs to be
such a vacuum for the whole database, that one will do...

> As for Reindex, I'm not entirely sure, I don't think you would benefit
> from reindex because you aren't updating or deleting.  Can anyone comment
> on this?  Is is possibile that a table with lots of inserts resulting in
> lots of page splits etc could ever benifit form REINDEX?

I could imagine a CLUSTER doing some good, and if that's the case,
REINDEX could have some favorable results.  But you'd better have a
real specific model as to why that would be...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/spreadsheets.html