Search Postgresql Archives

"xmin" system column

Outside of "VACUUM FREEZE", is there any way the "xmin" column in a relation can change, assuming of course the tuple is never updated again? I'm considering using this as a way to identify all tuples modified in the same transaction (in an effort to group them together), and am wondering if there's any way tuples from different transactions could end up with the same xmin value.

I've tried both "VACUUM" and "VACUUM FULL" on specific tables and neither seem to have an impact, but I haven't done extensive testing against very large tables that have experienced lots of churn.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

eric