Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Please, help! About database cluster and adding to

Sergey Karin wrote:
Hi, List!

Lets suppose the next situation...

We create database cluster (via initdb) on some disk. Then we create and use
a database that can be very large. In some moment the database occupy all
disk space allicated to cluster.
The question is: are there any abilities in PostgreSQL to use for created
cluster additional disk space in new other disk? Similar ability exist in
Informix...

Well, there are various filesystem add-ons that allow you to have virtual partitions spread over one or more physical disks. I'm guessing you're not using any of those.

You can move the WAL to a different disk and use table-spaces to relocate tables and indexes. See the manuals for tablespace setup and check the mailing-list archives for how to do it the hard way with symbolic links if you're running an old version of PG.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd