Search Postgresql Archives

Re: DBMirror.pl performance change

Achilleus Mantzios wrote:
Peter,
It is much more convinient for you to make a test,
(just change the last function in DBmirror.pl), than for me
(grab whitebeam, compile for FreeBSD, etc...)

Of course you would need to use the original .conf format
than the one you are using now.

It would be interesting to see some numbers.

P.S.

Please include my address explicitly, pgsql-general comes
to me in digest mode.

I'll take a look into this when I get a chance. Right now the only replicated systems I have are for live commercial clients - my development systems aren't replicated, just backed-up periodically.

It is worth looking through the Perl version some more though. I'm pretty sure I worked around most of the escaping/unescaping when I looked at the 'C' version. I'm pretty sure some of the same approach could be used to improve performance of the Perl version. The main thing I found was that the data table is un-escaped when read from the table and then re-escaped before being sent to the slave database. In practice the data doesn't have to be touched.

My own preference right now is to stick with the C version now I have it. Replication is just about simultaneous with negligible CPU usage. When I get a chance, I'm intending decoupling the 'C' version from the whole of Whitebeam so it can be built by itself. At the time I needed a solution quickly so making use of a few Whitebeam utility classes got me there.

Pete