Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Reordering columns in a table

I believe that it makes a lot of practical difference, just like organizing related code into files, classes etc. is important for clarity. This isn't a trivial thing, and the other (sarcastic?) suggestion that I reorder my select misses the point.

I think that having a good visual representation of the database is extremely important. So much so that I wrote my own tool to do it because one didn't exist for Postgres at the time. But I also think it's important for this visual representation to be tied to the database such that changes to the DB reflect in the visual representation and vice versa. That's why I was asking my question about column order. It would be bad to allow a user to move a column in the visual representation when it is unable to be modified in the database. I'm sure that it's a difficult feature to implement at the database level, and I'm sure there are sound technical reasons why it hasn't been implemented, but I do believe that it is a desirable feature.

Berend Tober wrote:

John McCawley wrote:

Is there a way to change the order of columns in a table in Postgres after it has been created? ...

The best way to do it is when you have the opportunity to do a restore, edit the pg_dump output between the dump and the restore steps. There are other approaches that might not be feasible depending on circumstances, like dropping and recreating the table and reloading data, but you have to deal with foreign key and other dependencies and so it is probably more work than justifiable for something that makes no practical difference.

Regards,
Berend Tober

      match