Search Postgresql Archives

Re: 'Official' definition of ACID compliance?

At 16:38 05/01/2006, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Russ Brown (pickscrape@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Oh, that's a long story. We're a MySQL house that I've been trying to
> convert to PostgreSQL one way or the other for ages (with no success as
> yet). Note that the argument isn't about which letter the type
> truncation applies to, but whether it actually has anything to do
> with ACID at all in the first place. The key for me is that the result of this argument has an
> effect on the question: "Is MySQL ACID compliant". If I'm right, it's
> not (which has political strategic benefits to me).

An even better thing to point out is that a DBA recommending MySQL isn't
a DBA at all. :)

        Enjoy,

                Stephen

I used to work for MySQL (a job's a job after all) and I say in all honesty that MySQL is not ACID compliant. Furthermore, MySQL is so lacked in functionality that it should be used for anything but the simplest of solutions. A database engine that does not support referential integrity, triggers, stored procedures, user defined types, etc should not be taken seriously

---

Regards
John Dean,
co-author of Rekall,