Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Moving Tablespaces

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

Do you or (or anyone else) suggest a method for moving databases from
one server to another without the time consuming dump/transfer/restore
process? Anything in the contrib directory or a good management tool?

Our databases can get large and we want to find the best way to plan for
when a database outgrows its current server.

How about a replication scheme and cutover? If so, is there a preferred
replication package to support this?

Thanks again! You folks are great, and that makes postgres great!
Allen

Tom Lane wrote:
Allen Fair <dba@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Looking at the "create tablespace " command in the docs, I was wondering how easy it is to move a database/tablespace to another server/instance of PostgreSQL.

It's not.  The contents of the tablespace are tied to the instance
(because rows contain transaction numbers that won't match up with
another instance).  Also, a tablespace by itself is just a useless
pile of bits; you can't access it unless there are system catalog
entries for the tables, and there's no way to export selected catalog
entries into another instance.

It's possible to get around the transaction-numbering problem by
doing VACUUM FREEZE before you copy the table files, but I don't
see any very workable solution to the catalog-entries problem.
You could possibly copy an entire database including its catalogs
after freezing the whole thing ... but the tablespace feature
certainly does not make that any easier.