Search Postgresql Archives

Performance of batch COMMIT

Each week I have to update a very large database.  Currently I  run a commit about every 1000 queries.  This vastly increased performance but I am wondering if the performance can be increased further.  I could send all of the queries to a file but COPY doesn't support plain queries such as UPDATE, so I don't think that is going to help.  The only time I have to run a commit is when I need to make a new table.  The server has 4GB of memory and fast everything else.  The only postgresql.conf variable I have changed is for the shared_memory.

Would sending all of the queries in a single query string increase performance?

What is the optimal batch size for commits?

Are there any postgresql.conf variable that should be tweaked?

Anybody have any suggestions?