Search Postgresql Archives

PostGreSQL 8.1.0 : out of memory during vacuum full analyze

Hello,

This is my first posting in this mailing list and I am a PostGreSQL newbie.
I've posted this message in the "novice" mailing list last friday, but I have any response.
I hope somenone could help me.

I realize a benchmarck on PostGreSQL on a 300Gb database. I used the release 8.1.0.

I have created my database, which contains 8 tables, loaded each table and created the appropriate indexes. Then, on each table, I have launched the "VACUUM FULL ANALYZE" command as a non-root user.

This command failed on the last table, the biggest, called "lineitem" which contains 1799989091 rows (near 300 Gb of datas).
This description of this table is :
TPCH=# \d lineitem
              Table "public.lineitem"
    Column      |         Type          | Modifiers
-----------------+-----------------------+-----------
l_orderkey      | bigint                | not null
l_partkey       | bigint                | not null
l_suppkey       | bigint                | not null
l_linenumber    | bigint                | not null
l_quantity      | numeric               |
l_extendedprice | numeric               |
l_discount      | numeric               |
l_tax           | numeric               | not null
l_returnflag    | character(1)          |
l_linestatus    | character(1)          |
l_shipdate      | date                  |
l_commitdate    | date                  |
l_receiptdate   | date                  |
l_shipinstruct  | character(25)         |
l_shipmode      | character(10)         |
l_comment       | character varying(44) |
   "i_l_orderkey" btree (l_orderkey), tablespace "tb_index"
Tablespace: "tb_lit"

Three hours after having launched the command, I've got this error :<>

  <>TPCH=# VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE lineitem;
  <>INFO:  vacuuming "public.lineitem"
  <>*ERROR:  out of memory*
  DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 67108864.

I do not try to launch again a vacuum full analyze on this table.

Can someone tell me why this error appears ?
Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Alexandra DANTE