Search Postgresql Archives

Re: fts, compond words?

hrm... that is a problem.  Though, I think that's a case of how the
compiled expression is built from user input.  Unless I'm mistaken

  a + ( foo1 | foo2 )

is exactly equal to

  (a + foo1) | (a + foo2)

Ahhh... but then there is the more complex example of

  a + foonish + bar

becoming

  a + (foo1 | foo2) + bar

.... but I guess that could be

(a + foo1 + bar) | (a + foo2 + bar)

That a simple case, what about languages as norwegian or german? They has compound words and ispell dictionary can split them to lexemes. But, usialy there is more than one variant of separation:

forbruksvaremerkelov
	forbruk	vare merke lov
	forbruk	vare merkelov
	forbruk varemerke lov
	forbruk varemerkelov
	forbruksvare merke lov
	forbruksvare merkelov
(notice: I don't know translation, just an example. When we working on compound word support we found word which has 24 variant of separation!!)

So, query 'a + forbruksvaremerkelov' will be awful:

a + ( (forbruk & vare & merke & lov) | (forbruk & vare & merkelov) | ... )

Of course, that is examle just from mind, but solution of phrase search should work reasonably with such corner cases.

--
Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: teodor@xxxxxxxxx
                                                   WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/