Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgresql jdbc connect via hostname instead of just ip

Jonathan Schreiter <jonathanschreiter@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The only way I can connect to the database via JDBC
> seems to be by IP address (both locally and on another
> system allowed by the pg_hba.conf file).
>
> jdbc:postgresql://theipaddressofdatabaseserver/mydatabase
>
> I'd like to be able to connect to the database this
> way using a DNS name / computer host name.  The
> specific error I recieve is on the lines of no route
> to host.

This implies that the IP address in DNS or /etc/hosts is different
from the IP address you're using in the URL.  It's almost certainly
not a Postgres misconfiguration.  What happens when you do

telnet server.host.name 5432

on the JDBC client machine?

-Doug