Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Delete statement does not work with PostgreSQL 8.0.1

Ledina Hido wrote:
Hi,

I have just today installed the new version of PostgreSQL (8.1.0), and my old code seems to have stopped working.

I am basically trying to delete a row from a table:

DELETE FROM "CON" WHERE "ref"='CON5';

I have checked and CON5 is definitively in the CON table. I tried using JDBC, pgAdminIII and command line but it doesn't seem to work. I get a message saying 0 rows have been affected, as if the item was not in the table. Am I doing something wrong? Has the syntax changed or is this just a bug?

Well, if DELETE had stopped working then 8.1 would never have been released, so there's something more subtle going on.

1. What happens if you run SELECT * FROM "CON" WHERE "ref"='CON5';
2. What does an "explain analyse" show for that?
3. If it's using an index try: SET enable_indexscan=false; then run query 1 again.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd