Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Sun supporting PostgreSQL

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Ezra Taylor wrote:

Hello all:
              Just to let you all know, Sun is in trouble.  Linux is
taking alot of business away from Sun.  Can we trust Sun to do the
right thing.  Also, if Sun adds any code to PG, will it continue to be
opensource product.  As you can tell, I don't trust these big IT
companies, but they are a necessary evil.  How can we protect
ourselves from Sun if they plan to shaft us.

How would they shaft us? We only add code to *our* tree that is BSD licenced, so any code Sun submits to us will have to be the same ... Sun is "just another operating system company" that happens to now be providing PostgreSQL as part of their offering ... there are several now that are doing their own version of PostgreSQL, with 'closed source' modifications to it ... if Sun decides to do this, they have that option ...

----
Email: scrappy@xxxxxxx           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend