Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Strange slow database

Tom Lane wrote:
Have you checked to see whether you are encountering table or index
bloat?  Your vacuuming policy doesn't sound unreasonable on its face,
but there's no substitute for actually looking at physical file sizes
when you aren't sure what's wrong.  Try doing a pg_dump and reload into
a virgin database, then compare file sizes with the original
table-by-table to see if anything is drastically out of line.
Don't forget to look at the system catalogs too.

I dumped and loaded then wrote a script to compare the sizes of tables. I noticed that a few of the indexes, especially the indexes on the 15million table shrunk a lot (~50% reduction - ~400Mb). Also, the pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index index shrank loads, to 1% of its original size. From this, we tried reindexing indexes and found we got the same reduction in index size. Strangely though, our queries appear to have sped up not just on the servers we reindexed, but across the whole cluster - so apparently something else is affecting the speed of this all, not just bloat. We're scratching our heads, this is nothing if not a little frustrating.

--
David Mitchell
Software Engineer

      match