Search Postgresql Archives

Very slow queries on 8.1

I'm porting an application from Sybase and I've noticed that similar application functions take 2 to 3 times longer on postgres than they used to on the same machine running under Sybase. I've tried changing various "performance tuning" parameters, such as shared_buffers, effective_cache_size, etc but there's little or no effect. I'm beginning to think there's a deeper root cause to the slowness.

Right now, I'm working on a test case that involves a table with ~360k rows called "nb.sigs". My sample query is:

select * from nb.sigs where signum > 250000

With no index, explain says this query costs 11341. After CREATE INDEX on the signum field, along with an ANALYZE for nb.sigs, the query costs 3456 and takes around 4 seconds to return the first row. This seems extremely slow to me, but I can't figure out what I might be doing wrong. Any ideas?

(If necessary, I can write an entire script that creates and populates a table and then give my performance on that sample for someone else to check against.)

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend