To: "Bob Pawley" <rjpawley@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "Postgres General" <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 9:42 AM
Subject: Re:  Is it databases in general, SQL or Postgresql?

Bob Pawley wrote:
Sample 2 below, does not work. From a logical (perhaps naive) extension of Sample 1, I adapted the function to identify which of the serial numbers in table pr is to be transferred to table pi. I am attempting to do this as part of the database structure _not_ as data retrieval. Could someone explain to me why this isn't acceptable as a simple basic function? Could someone explain to me what needs to be changed, enhanced or modified to make this database structure work?

Sample 2
            create or replace function base() returns trigger as $$

            begin

            insert into pi (fluid_id) values (new.fluid_id)

            where  pr (contain)  = 'ip';

I suppose you mean "where pr.contain = 'ip'" instead? pr is a table, not a function.

You'd be in some interesting trouble if there'd be a function pr(text) returning text - it would evaluate the function with the content of your column and compare the result to your string.

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "where" at character 41

QUERY:  insert into pi (fluid_id) values ( $1 ) where pr (contain) = 'ip'

CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "base" line 2 at SQL statement

--
Alban Hertroys

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend