Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Fuzzy text search

jennyw wrote:
We've heard that PostgreSQL can do fuzzy search, but haven't had much luck. I'm brand new to PostgreSQL, so this might be completely obvious for an experienced user. Are there any how-tos on fuzzy text searching? Someone said to try using tsearch2, but it seems that it does full-text searching, but not fuzzy search. Ideally, we'd like to use that w/ a fuzzy search option. In particular, if someone searches for "imat" we want to return results including "immaterial" and "imaterial" (so misspellings plus partial match).

Look at contrib/pg_trgm. If you want fulltext search with mispelling correction then read "Tsearch2 Integration" in contrib/pg_trgm/README.

--
Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: teodor@xxxxxxxxx
                                                   WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend