Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Performance of autovacuum and full vacuum of database

On Nov 10, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

Yes exactly, and if you find that pg_autovacuum is never or not often enough firing off vacuum comands, then you will need to play with the threshold settings. The default thresholds for pg_autovacuum are too conservative for most people, so you may very well have to do this.

Another issue with autovacuum (haven't investigated the 8.1 version yet) is that you can't make different threshhold settings for different tables. For example, I have some tables that are a handful of rows but are updated bazillions of times per day, and other tables with 10's of millions of rows updated perhaps 100k times per day. autovacuum would go several days without vacuuming some of the tables, which was just bad...

I don't think it is suitable for all situations.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend