Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Best way to use indexes for partial match at

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> No, I wouldn't think one to one would be necessary.  If you had a
> primary key that was case insensitive, for example, it would not map
> one to one.  It would, in fact, be MORE greedy about matching, so
> that you could not have both a "Peter Eisentraut" and a "peter
> eisentraut" in the same table.

I suppose one could define equivalence classes that way, and if
everything else that interacted with the table (foreign keys, other
functions, etc.) behaved consistently with respect to those equivalence
classes, things would work out.  Lots of "if's" though.  The better and
safer way to do that, however, would be to define a data type.

--
Peter Eisentraut

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend