Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question on Insert / Update

Will give that a try. thanks.
was actually interested if the 2nd approach is common practice or if there are some reasons not to do it that way.

Alex

Sean Davis wrote:

On 11/9/05 9:45 AM, "Alex" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
have just a general question...

I have a table of 10M records, unique key on 5 fields.
I need to update/insert 200k records in one go.

I could do a select to check for existence and then either insert or update.
Or simply insert, check on the error code an update if required.

The 2nd seems to be to logical choice, but will it actually be faster
and moreover is that the right way to do it?

Probably the fastest and most robust way to go about this if you have the
records in the form of a tab-delimited file is to COPY or \copy (in psql)
them into a separate loader table and then use SQL to manipulate the records
(check for duplicates, etc) for final insertion into the table.

Sean

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend