Search Postgresql Archives

Re: clustering by partial indexes

"Keith C. Perry" <netadmin@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> Quoting Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> "Keith C. Perry" <netadmin@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>>> This might have been discussed before but I wanted to know if clustering
>>> tables by partial indexes will be availble in a later release of pgSQL?
>>
>> What in the world would it mean to do that?

> I'm not sure I understand your question.

CLUSTER says "order the table according to the order of the entries in
this index".  A partial index doesn't define an ordering for the whole
table, only the rows that have entries in that index.  So it doesn't
seem to me that you are asking for something that has a well defined
meaning.

			regards, tom lane

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq