Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

On 11/1/2005 8:49 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Jan Wieck <JanWieck@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
On 10/31/2005 1:14 PM, Chris Browne wrote:
The fact that it appears "a joke" to people wanting to deploy big
databases doesn't prevent it from taking a painful bite out of, oh,
say, certain vendors that forgot to own their own transactional
storage engine...

It's not a joke. It fits exactly the "small web application" needs. Who will want to pay for a commercial MySQL license when they can run Oracle for free?

People who can't figure out how to configure Postgres are not likely to
get far with Oracle ;-).  Unless Oracle has made some *huge* strides in
ease of installation/administration with 10g, I see this making
practically no dent in MySQL.  Or PG for that matter.  All they're
really likely to accomplish is to cannibalize some of their own low-end
sales.

With those limitations, there isn't much left to "configure". We are talking about a 4GB maximum DB size. That is one default tablespace with appropriate default extent sizes and pctinc. All the user needs to chose is one of 3 canned config files for using 256, 512 or 1024 MB of RAM.

Jan

      match