Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PSQL suggested enhancement

On Oct 20, 2005, at 15:45 , Roger Hand wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Michael
Glaesemann
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 11:24 PM

On Oct 20, 2005, at 14:50 , Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) wrote:

PSQL has the option to output the result of queries in several
different formats, including HTML.  Suggestion:  have an option to
output query results in XML format.

My personal opinion on this is that there are a lot of different
ideas about how the XML should/could be written, and a the current
output can be piped to a script in <insert favorite scripting
language here> to format to match anyone's wish. Rather than have
psql decree the one and true format or include so many as to make
maintainability burdensome, further formatting is best left to the
end user.

By that reasoning there shouldn't be html format either.

Agreed :) I'd submit a patch to remove it if I thought it'd be accepted--and more importantly, if I thought it were worth the time it'd take me (I'm still learning C, and the little bit of PostgreSQL code I'm familiar with is not the psql client) (excuses excuses :). Though justification for removing a feature is different from that of adding or extending one: removing one breaks backwards compatibility.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

      match