Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Richard_D_Levine@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

pgsql-general-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 10/19/2005 12:35:25 AM:

Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Strangely a pgsql to oracle exporter is a good thing.  It'd be a great
feature of PostgreSQL.  Imagine how many people would start on
PostgreSQL if they KNEW that one day they could easily move to Oracle
if
they needed to.  Risk management.

Problem is: to offer such a thing with a straight face, we'd have to
confine ourselves to an Oracle-subset version of SQL.  For instance,
lose the ability to distinguish empty-string from NULL.

Yep.  It is not just limited to empty strings; An all blank string, no
matter the number of characters, is stored as NULL.  And a corollary to
that idiocy is that a string with two blank characters is not equal to a
string with a single blank character in Oracle.  'a  ' is not equal to 'a
'.  'a ' is not equal to 'a'.  Port that to another database.  Seen the
JOIN syntax? *sigh*

Wait, I've lost something here, apparently ... but that is the case with PostgreSQL as well:

ams=# select ' a' = '  a';
 ?column?
(1 row)

Let me guess ... MySQL treats them as equal??

----
Email: scrappy@xxxxxxx           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq