Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase

Chris Travers <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> IMO, it is likely to start with one of two things:

> 1)  PostgreSQL to Oracle database conversion utilities released by
> Oracle (unlikely given extensible languages in PostgreSQL).
> 2)  Some sort of FUD campaign on the part of Oracle directed
> specifically at us and not tied to any specific project (fairly likely).

Well, #1 would require quite a nontrivial investment of time by Oracle
(I doubt they'd even think about offering ports of any PL other than
plpgsql, and still it'd be a major project).  #2 only requires inventing
some plausible lies.  So you can bet we'll see #2 long before #1.

As Andrew noted, we've already heard plenty of FUD from Oracle.  What
we've not seen is a FUD campaign based on serious study of our
weaknesses --- they've only bothered to muster transparent attacks on
"open source DBs" in general.  My prediction is that the next step will
be FUD that's really designed specifically against Postgres.

			regards, tom lane

       match