Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Wrong charset?

On Oct 18, 2005, at 21:52 , jfo123@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi, all of a sudden (?) it seems like the stuff I am putting into a
table is getting the wrong character coding. The definition of the db
is like this:
CREATE DATABASE my_sampledb
  WITH OWNER = postgres
       ENCODING = 'LATIN1'
       TABLESPACE = pg_default;

Still I get crap out from it when I insert data which is encoded with
the swedish characterset for instance (å, ä, ö). Can someone hint me
towards a good thread that I have not found or simply what else to take
a look at.

I believe the two things you should look at are whether the characters you're interested in are defined in the character set you're using and whether the client and server encodings match, e.g. if you're using psql, that the psql encoding is also Latin-1 or can is something that can be converted losslessly to Latin-1.

You don't mention where you are seeing the wrong characters: if it's a web page, you'll also want to make sure you've defined the charset (in a meta tag) for the web page and that it also matches your encoding. Of course, if it's *not* a webpage you're looking at, this last bit won't help ;)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq