Search Postgresql Archives

Re: autovacuum deamon on 8.0.3 - WinXP

Florian Ledoux wrote:
An autovacuum deamon has been installed as a Windows service during
the setup of my PG 8.0.3 server on WinXP. I am surprised because I
believed that autovacuum was only available  in 8.1 server. There is
no autovacuum_XXX parameters in postgresql.conf... How can I be sure
that autovacuum is correctly working ? If it is the case, how is it
configured ?
Can I rely on this service or have I to periodicaly launch vacuumdb instead ?

Can anybody help me...

In Postgresql 7.4 and 8.0 there was a contrib version of autovacuum, which is the reason it gets installed as a separate service, and also the reason there are no options for it in the postgresql.conf file. The Windows installer installs this contrib version by default and most people find it to be helpful.

Starting with 8.1, autovacuum has be reworked and integrated into the backend, so it will no longer show up as a separate service, and there will be options in the Postgresql.conf file.

Did that help?

Matt

      match