Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase

elein wrote:

The scenario that no one has mentioned wrt postgresql and oracle is
that oracle can take the source code, branch it or not and support it.
If they branch, it will have less credibility and it will become "interesting". But support money from a big name company (Oracle) should be forthcoming in either case.

Long term that does not help the support companies, like mine and those
mentioned above.  Or maybe it does because we're smaller and faster.
It could work both ways. I am sure that if that happened, that Oracle would be contributing to the PostgreSQL code base in some ways. However, this would be somewhat bad for them because they would be commoditizing their flagship product, but Oracle is mostly a services business and would probably be able to make the transition relatively well. The bigger deal would be for companies like EnterpriseDB.

OTOH, would you rather deal with the likes of Larry Ellison and his peons or the likes of you, Josh (both of them), etc?

I think Oracle will start marketing PostgreSQL sometime after IBM jumps on ship. But don't expect either soon.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend