Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase

Chris Browne wrote:

tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Tom Lane) writes:
I've been trying to figure out what it is that Oracle gets out of
this, assuming that they don't see MySQL as a serious threat to
their core business.  The most they can do is force MySQL AB to
waste a year or so reimplementing something equivalent to InnoDB;
which would hurt them but it's hardly likely to kill them.  But with
your scenario Oracle might actually make money out of the deal,
which makes it make some sense.

Well, Jan and I were puzzling over the whole "why MaxDB?" thing, and
the only way we were able to rationalize MySQL AB's involvement with
THAT was the theory that MySQL AB wants to become an alternative DB
backend vendor for SAP R/3.

Oracle is the main player there, and has been for a long time.

The whole thing about SAP AG buying up SAP-DB (which has become MaxDB)
was that they were "gaming" with Oracle over database licenses.
Having their own "free" alternative to Oracle represented a useful
tool when in license negotiations.
Interesting thought. It also explains Oracle's additional market pressure against MySQL AB....

Where MySQL AB seems to fit into this is that they have a "barely
functional" DBMS engine that nonetheless happens to be nearly
functional enough to be usable as a backend for SAP R/3.

They were pretty proudly announcing at OSCON 2005 that they had enough
functionality to support R/3...
Was this MaxDB or MySQL?

If MySQL AB has an *actively maintained* (unlike SAP-DB) database
engine, that makes them attractive to SAP AG whether as a business
partner or as a buyout target.  Either could be quite attractive to
owners and venture capital providers alike.

Of course, if the "ability to support R/3" requires InnoDB stuff, then
this means Oracle just did a nice job of cutting off this strategy...
Even if it doesn't require InnoDB... Cast a long enough shadow on MySQL AB and that active maintenance of MaxDB will be harder to justify. I.e. death by asphyxiation will kill any project or company. My predictions are that Oracle will try to drive up the costs of MySQL and then when the company starts to flounder, will buy it for pennies on the dollar. If they are actively maintaining MaxDB, well, this just cut the knees out from under that.

Also, what Oracle has done is cast enough of a shadow on MySQL to make them a very unattractive buyout target. This is a very interesting move by Oracle... It will be interesting to see where it goes....

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting