Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?

Johan Wehtje wrote:

I doubt you read the rest of the post otherwise I don't think you would make that comment.

Personlly I think you were right. Access is a good front end, at least in the sense that it is a hell of a lot better than anything the OSS community has bothered to come up with. I actually Paradox is a better choice :).

It is also a front-end that customers are comfortable with.

I think there really is a need for a rich DB client that allows Rapid development and is easy to link to an office Suite. To be useful to a business a database needs the applications built on top of it, and like I said if someone can show me a quicker way of doing this than Access and still lets me use Postgresql for my backend without any great drama, I would love to hear of it. My experience with Access 2000 and the latest ODBC drivers has been very positive, but I am wary of Microsoft's intentions for Access going forward, which I why I asked if anyone knew of a really viable alternative that I have not tried.

FYI Open Office 2.0 database, forms, reports etc... is MUCH better than it was. I believe you can script it as well in Python and maybe Java.

The next best thing that I have tried is Delphi with some of the libraries available from Sqlmanager or Active Query builder.

You can use Kylix for that but I don't know its status.

But really, for most of the situations I encounter this is a bit like re-inventing the wheel every time someone wants a cart built. You end up trying to build an Access like application from the ground up every time someone wants a Db app. And that seems to me to be taking antipathy towards Microsoft to a point where it benefits no-one.

Cheers
Johan Wehtje

Matthew Peter wrote:

Someone trying to stick microsoft yet another place
they don't belong.

--- Johan Wehtje <joweht@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Very much a description of the Business I am in.

For all the criticism leveled at it, I still think
that as a rich Database Client that permits really rapid
development of Database driven applications Access is unbeatable. Pair it with a
good Database server and it is the perfect combination.

__________________________________ Yahoo! Music Unlimited Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

.