Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?

Scott Marlowe wrote:

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 20:37, CSN wrote:
Just so I know (and am armed ;) ), are there any new
comparable features in MySQL 5.0 that aren't in
PostgreSQL up to the forthcoming 8.1? AFAIK, PG just
lacks updatable views (which are on the TODO).
<snip>

Instance Manager:  Uniquely MySQL.  It allows things like starting and
stopping the database remotely.
I cannot think of a reason ever to need this when we have OpenSSH....
<snip>

Federated Storage Engine:  Allows MySQL to access tables in other
servers like they are here.  No real direct equivalent in PostgreSQL,
but dblink provides similar functionality.
DBI-Link also has a wider range of functionality and can access tables on MySQL, Oracle, DB2, etc. servers.
<snip>

Strict Mode and Error handling:  Not an option, but always on in
PostgreSQL.  There are still plenty of things that "fall through the
cracks" on MySQL, like my previously mentioned problem with column level
constraints (specificall fk but all column level constraints are
ignored, no error, no warning, no notice.)  Jeez, how hard would it be
to just throw a danged notice?
Or worse, do you want an RDBMS where an application can turn of data verification and then insert dates like Feb 31, 2005? (Strict mode can be enabled/disabled per connection/session)
<snip>

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting