Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Oracle buys Innobase

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

The other answer may be the license: plugging PG into the MySQL system
(which is about as technically feasible trying to breed a porpoise
and an elephant) keeps MySQL GPL, which is another reason many people
like it.

The fact that PostgreSQL is NOT released under GPL is the reason that people like me are here - MySQL's license drove us away from them. Their change of the driver licensing prevents us from shipping new drivers with our applications.

GPL is a poison pill when it comes to groups like us that are trying to develop standards (and shared code bases) that can be used by both opensource and corporate types alike.

So keep up the good work!

Dan

--
Daniel Armbrust