Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?

Andrus wrote:

I must support demo versions for 1 to 100 users in all Windowses using free
software.

So there are the following options :

1. Use Firebird
2. Use Postgres + cygwin all cases, even in XP
3. Use Postgres native for XP, Postgres+cygwin in Win 98
4. Use Postgres native for XP, Sqlite in in Win 98

(4) is the most expensive (requires supporting 2 different dbmses)

No ida, which is best from the remaining three.

I'd personally just go with Firebird/SQLite, and I say that as a committed PostgreSQL user who knows next to nothing about Firebird. You'll have enough problems with various library versions on different versions of Windows without any other differences. Actually I'd probably just use a MS-Access runtime engine if I still had a licence here somewhere.

Presumably your database requirements aren't too demanding, or you wouldn't be considering running on Win98 in the first place.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

      match