Search Postgresql Archives

Re: optimizing common subqueries

As I understand it, Postgres's query planner considers only trees of joins - I don't know what the technical implications are of using DAG plans, other than the obvious blowup in planning space.

I was recently in a similar situation, where a script essentially needed to do a self-join on the result of a complex query. The script uses a temp table to store the results of the first query, and then does a second query using the temp table - effectively, I have done common-subexpression reduction by hand. This repeated fragment of your example:

     SELECT * FROM common_pmids('mycn','trka')

might be a candidate for such treatment.

- John Burger
  MITRE

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq