Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Securing Postgres

If you don't trust the administrators you should find someone else to admin your machine.

Main question: what do you need the administrators to do for you? If you only need them to do a few things, then it is much easier to limit their access.

Because, on most popular systems (e.g. C2-level O/S + hardware or lower) technically competent administrators with _full_ administrative accounts and/or physical access are able to get full read access to practically any file. So they will be able to view information in the database.

Backup operators are often able to get similar access.

You could try to use encryption, but in my opinion that is more for making _accidental_ viewing of data harder, and to make it easier to prove that intentional breaches of policy were attempted.

BTW you may wish to put dummy data in your database (fake accounts, etc), so that if there is a compromise (or an attempt in progress), you might have a chance of detecting it. Some triggers might help too (don't use them on _all_ your fake data, just a few might do).

Regards,
Link.