Search Postgresql Archives

Re: to drop a 30GB database. is it slow?

Alban Hertroys wrote:
Gábor Farkas wrote:

i'm only afraid that maybe if we issue the drop-db command, it will take for example 30minutes...

Wouldn't it be more effective to create a new table by selecting your session table and switch their names? You can drop the troublesome table afterwards, without influencing the availability of your database any further.

This should minimize your downtime, I think - unless people have even speedier solutions, of course.

thanks, but what my fear is:

as i understand, this little db eats up 30GB of space (the real content should be like 10MB), because it was not vacuumed for a long time.

but a normal vacuum does not recover disk space, it still keeps it.

we need to do a different vacuum that recovers the disk space, but for that time the db will not respond.

so, what if simply dropping the table does not recover the disk-space?

thanks,
gabo

      match