Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Slow connection to the database

Is it possible that you've got DNS timeouts happening or something
like that?  Though I don't think PG does reverse DNS lookups,
especially not by default.
Watching the connection process with 'tcpdump' to see where the stall
happens might be informative.

-Doug

DNS was also my first thought, but the connection isn't logged so why do reverse lookup and with my clients ip address in /etc/hosts is same.

I have now also tried on a Sun Ultra Sparc running Solaris 10
and an Intel EMT64 running FreeBSD 6-BETA4 with the same discouraging result. On the FreeBSD I have tried both compiling by hand and from ports.

All servers where it isn't working properly have in common that it
is PgSQL ver. 8.0.3 compiled with gcc ver. 3.4.4 running on 64-bits
cpu's

It's working well on an old K6-II running FreeBSD 4.11, PgSQL 8.03 compiled with gcc 2.95.4

Poul

      match