Search Postgresql Archives

deactivating/activating constraint

Dear All,
is it possible to temporary deactivate a constraint in PostgreSQL?
There is a constraint that does not allow me to write some data (see e-mail below). But after all datasets are written the constraint is valid. So I was wondering wether it is possible to deactivate a constraint write all records in all tables then activate constraint again. Somebody told me that it is possible in Oracle.
Thanks a lot in advance
Oleg

Dear All
I am PostgreSQL beginner. I am trying to write some values from external source table “Table1” (using PostGIS plugin) to 2 destination PostgreSQL tables “Table2” and “Table3” that describes relations of data:

Table1:
| A | B |
---------
| 1 | 1 |
| 2 | 3 |
| 3 | 1 |

Table2
| C |
-----
| 1 |
| 2 |

Table3
| D | E |
---------
| 1 | 1 | case 1
| 2 | 3 | case 2

Table3 has constraint:
FOREIGN KEY E REFERENCES Table2 (C) ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE RESTRICT;

I use updateable view “View1” (due to PostGIS interface) with columns “C” and “E” and rule: AS ON INSERT TO View1 DO INSTEAD (INSERT INTO Table2 VALUES (NEW.C); INSERT INTO Table3 VALUES (NEW.D, NEW.E));

I faced following problem: As it is shown in Table3 while trying to write data in case 1 everything works fine, but case 2 is not possible due to constraint in Table3. However my aim is to write a column A to column C, column A to column D and column B to column E not removing constraint for table3. May be there is a way to adjust constraint? Or may be to adjust rule somehow to make it to write all data from column A to column C first and after that fill in Table3?
Thanks a lot in advance
Oleg