Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Implementing a change log

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

My original intention was to keep two sets of tables. The first
containing only the working set of current records. The second
containing all prior versions. I haven't experimented with such a setup
yet and I'm wondering if it is even necessary. The alternative being to
keep only a single set of tables.
Can anyone relate their experiences with such a thing? Which approaches
should I take into consideration?

I like the multi-table approach; I use a schema named "audit" that contains
a copy of some of the important tables (sans constraints). The nice part is
that I can use the exact same table name, which makes things easier. A few
extra columns on each audit table track who made the change, what type it
was (insert, update, or delete [trigger event]), and the time of the change
[default timestamptz]. Throw in some triggers and you're done.

There was a very exciting discussion of this last May, in which Greg Patnude suggested the most insightful, and in hindsight obviously appropriate, use of table inheritance ever (IMHO). I slightly refined the idea and posted documentation comments at the time. See "User Comments" at

"http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/tutorial-inheritance.html";

for something that should set you afire.