Search Postgresql Archives

Copy DataBases Server to server

Hi everyone,
I've a problem that i'am not able to solve alone (i'm kinda newbie on postgresql). we were running PostgreSQL 7.4 under Linux (Mandriva) but our HDD crashs and we lost the system but were able to backup the database files to an other HDD. now we want to copy the databases to our new server but it runs windows XP Pro 64bits and PostGreSQL 8.0. I try something simple, copy the former databases files in postgresql\data\base but it doesn't work (i knew it won't be so simple) and i look the 3 .conf files but i've found nothing intersing for my case. I could easyly rebuild the relationship, but re-importing the data will be a last option (it takes a few days the last time).
I'll go with the questions:
First: Is it realistic to think that what we want is possible?
second: if yes, Is it for PostGre Gurus, or will i be able to do it?
third: thanks, that's all!

              http://archives.postgresql.org