Search Postgresql Archives

Re: ERROR: type "temp_gc" already exists

Am Samstag, 10. September 2005 18:05 schrieb Tom Lane:
> Janning Vygen <vygen@xxxxxx> writes:
> > i guess the table was dropped but not the corresponding type.
> > How can things like this happen?
>
> Corrupted pg_depend table maybe?  You might try REINDEXing pg_depend
> to be on the safe side.  Also please look to see if there are any
> relevant entries in it (look for objid = the type's OID, or refobjid
> = 16562879 which we can see was the table's OID).
>
> > How can i fix it?  Can i just drop the type from pg_type?
>
> If there's no pg_depend entry then DROP TYPE should work.  Otherwise
> you might have to resort to manually DELETEing the pg_type row.

Thanks for your detailed answer. I don't want to do anything wrong. To be
sure, i have some more questions:

- There is no entry in pg_depend. Should i just drop the entry from pg_type or
should i REINDEX anyway?

- Can i REINDEX pg_depend in normal operation mode or do i have to take
precautions mentioned in the docs? [1]

- How can things like this happen? Hardware failure? If yes, should i change
my harddisk?

kind regards,
Janning

[1] It's not clear to me if pg_depend is a "shared system catalog" because the
docs say

   "any of the shared system catalogs (pg_database,
    pg_group, pg_shadow, or  pg_tablespace)"

Maybe the iteration is final, maybe it shows only examples)

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq