Search Postgresql Archives

linux pg pointed to windows partition for db

Tried a couple other places and aren't getting anywhere.

A windows xp program I use uses pgsql; I'd like to create a backup of the db but from within linux without xp running (I run xp in vmware; and the xp db backup will be written to an ext* partition).  I have the same rev pgsql installed on xp and linux (8.0.3 IIRC); the xp/pgsql db is on an NTFS partition and I mount the disc read-only.

My problem is two-fold:

1.  What parameters to start the linux pgsql with for this circumstance if not the defaults;

2.  How to point the linux pgsql/pg_dump to the xp pg's data to do the backup.

Can I just start the linux pgsql with its defaults?  If so, how do I point linux pg_dump to the pgsql db data in an xp dir ("/mnt/Program Files/Postgresql/8.0/data")?

If linux pgsql defaults aren't good enough for this circumstance, what do I need to change?

Also, if the xp pgsql db requires a pw when working with it under xp, if xp isn't running and I can use the linux pg_dump for this do I still need the xp pgsql pw?  Is there any way to pass that to the linux pg_dump on the cmd line so I can put this operation in a script?