Search Postgresql Archives

data Transfer rate priority on Postgres ?

I just installed Postgres 8.0 (Windows native) on a HP server with Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 4. This database is accessed by several windows PC?s with an ODBC (ver. 7.03.02.00) through a 100Mbps intranet.

            I have notice that when I run a program that requires about 2 MB of information from the server to the PC, it takes about 2-3 seconds to load the information in some PC?s and 20 to 30 seconds in other PC?s (at the same time). This creates a situation where the program runs ?faster? in some PC?s than in others. But this situation is not hardware related because one day a PC might have a ?fast? connection and the next day the same PC it will have a ?slow? connection. Also if I swap a PC that has a ?fast? connection in the net point of another with a ?slow? connection, both PC´s will keep their rate of data transfer.  It seems to me that something is assigning the rate of data transfer and giving it a priority within the net.

            Does Postgres have any kind of configuration that determines the speed of data transfer to the clients? Is there any kind of connection priority? Or, this is a Windows configuration problem?

            We didn?t have this problem with version 7.4 (Cygwin), al the PC had a ?fast? connection.