Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL and XML support

I have XML support in PostgreSQL in my Todo
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/oddmuse/index.cgi/todo
Hopefully, we'll have something for 8.2

	Oleg
On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Doug Bloebaum wrote:

On 9/6/05, Andrey Fomichev <fomichev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

- Are there any of you who need to store and query XML data?

- Do you already use PostgreSQL to store XML data or you are
just thinking about it?

The project I'm currently working on uses XML for both data extraction from
Postgres and as a means to transmit data to Postgres for storage.

- If you store XML data in PostgreSQL, how do you do it? What tool
do you use?

We're using Oracle's XSQL servlet (
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/appdev.101/b10794/adx09xsq.htm)
with Apache tomcat (http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/) as its servlet
container. The only change we've made to XSQL is the addition of a custom
tag (<xsql:pg-func>) in order to make use of Postgres functions returning
REF CURSOR. Aside from that, we're using XSQL out-of-the-box.

Granted, we're not really manipulating XML within the database, rather we're
using XML as a sort of database-neutral interface.

- Do you need some advanced query capabilities? Like XQuery, XPath 2.0

No.

- Do you need some advanced update capabilities? Like node-level updates

No.

	Regards,
		Oleg
Internet: oleg@xxxxxxxxxx, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83